Best Golf facts from around the world
Golf that has its origin dating back to decades ago is a sport that involves a club, and a ball where the players use the different kinds of the club to hit the golf ball into a series of holes that are on the course is as few strokes as possible.
The game of Golf has been growing over the years has been growing popularly and inspiring many to learn the art of the game. But there is more to the sport than just clubs, courses and golf balls.
It is always interesting to learn about facts and add them to our library in our brain so here is a lineup of facts about Golf:
Did you know?
- Golf was invented in Scotland over 500 years ago, but the Chinese claim a similar game as far back as AD 943.
- A regular Golf Course consists a total number of 18 holes.
- The first Golf balls used in the 16th century is believed to be made entirely of hardwood, such as beech and box trees.
- Up until 19th century, Golf balls were earlier made from feathers that were first boiled and then later stuffed into a leather pouch which was then sewn into the shape of a ball. One ball would cost a total of $10-$20.
- The world’s first golf tournament was held on 9 January 1811 at Musselburgh in Scotland. The winner received a fishing basket, while the second and the third received a silk scarf each all the way from Barcelona
- Americans spend around $600 million on Golf balls every year.
- Only two sports were ever played while being on the moon- one of Golf and the other is Javelin throw.
- A total of 125,000 golf balls in a year are hit into the water on the famous Stadium Course’s 17th hole, which is located at Sawgrass
- Only 20% of golfers have a handicap below 18, and a golfer with a handicap of 18 is called a ‘Bogey Golfer.’
- Lee Trevino, a popular and a successful golf player, was hit by lightning twice
- Tiger Woods was only 8 when he got his very first held in one.
- The chances of making two holes-in-one in a round of golf is 1 in 67 million
- Before the 1957 Masters, Doug Ford- a golfer entered a contest, and he anticipated his Victory as well as his winning score which was 282.
- Tiger Woods has won over a total amount of $100million in prize money-and counting.
- Phil Mickelson, who plays left handed on Golf, is actually a right handed. He had learned to play Golf by mirroring his father’s swing. So he has been using left handed clubs ever since then.
- Golf is an incredible sport as well a very good exercise. A man weighing 79 kilos can burn 460 calories if he carries his bag of clubs during an hour of play and on a nine hold course, he can end up walking almost 4 km